|Season 10, Episode # 18 |
Number (#227) in series (259 episodes)
|Guest star(s)||Chris Hardwick|
Shawn Michael Howard
S. Kyle Parker
|Original airdate||February 18, 1996|
|IMDb||Spring Break (Part 1)|
|← Previous||Next →|
|'"The Agony and the Extra C"||"Spring Break (Part 2)"|
Spring Break (Part 1) is the 18th episode of season 10 of Married... with Children and the 227th overall series episode. Directed by Gerry Cohen and written by Kim Weiskopf, it premiered on FOX-TV on February 18, 1996.
During spring break, Kelly and friends seduce Bud and friends out of their airline tickets and hotel reservations at Fort Lauderdale. Al, Jefferson, and Griff go to Fort Lauderdale to judge a bikini contest. When Marcy sees Jefferson and Al on a spring break TV special, she heads out to Fort Lauderdale with Bud and friends.
Bud and his nerdy fraternity brothers decide to go to Ft. Lauderdale for Spring Break and have their airline tickets and hotel rooms booked. When Kelly and her friends learn of Bud's plans they hustle them out of their tickets by way of seduction. The shoe store is sold out due to the large amount of women who want shoes to wear with their bikinis, so Al and Griff go to Ft. Lauderdale with Jefferson, who is an alumni judge in a bikini contest for his fraternity. Marcy stops by the Bundys' to check in on things and winds up seeing Jefferson and Al on television in a news story about Spring Break. It's a road trip with Marcy, Bud and his friends.
Marcy: I drive a Benz and I'm pissed. Come, my geeks.
- Chris Hardwick as Dan Inwood
- Shawn Michael Howard as Barney
- Dave Ruby as Hummer
- S. Kyle Parker as Achmed
- Faith Salie as Lana
- Shannon Escher as Natalie
- Tonya Watts as Scarlett
- The title of this episode is a reference to the vacation period known as "Spring Break", in which college students take a week off from school (usually near the Easter holiday) and travel to popular beach resorts to relax and party, with Florida typically being the most common destination.
- Katey Sagal only makes a short appearance due to her pregnancy.
- Some of the inspiration for the plot comes from Revenge of the Nerds and various teen sexploitational movies from the early 1980s. Those films usually revolved around college fraternities heading off to Spring Break.
- Ted McGinley had played the main antagonist in Revenge of the Nerds.
- It is revealed that Bud has now had sex a total of seven times.
- This is the third appearance of S. Kyle Parker on the show and the second as Achmed. He previously appeared as Achmed in "Frat Chance" and as one of The Three Habibs in "'Tis Time to Smell the Roses".
- When Kelly and her friends arrive, she asks which of Bud's friends goes "Bud", "Weis" and "Er" in reference to a series of commercials for Budweiser Beer, featuring the Budweiser Frogs, a group of frogs who say the syllables of the brand name.
- When Achmed has the girls guess as to where they will be going for spring break, Mindy says "Gymboree" in reference to the children's clothing store.
- VJ Dan Inwood for Rock TV, is a parody of music cable network MTV and its VJ (Video Jockeys), who would often go out and do interviews and promote concerts during spring break.
- Coincidentally, Chris Hardwick, who plays Dan, was at the time this episode aired, on MTV as one of the hosts of the dating show, Singled Out.
- Dan mentions that he was on the daytime soap opera General Hospital.
- During the opening of the Spring Break Dance-a-Thon, the announcers states "All proceeds will be donated to CBS to pay Bill Cosby's salary"
- Peggy is revealed to be in New Orleans, Louisiana and attending the festival known as Mardi Gras.
- Al and Griff sing "In the Still of the Night" by The Five Satins while trying to stay warm at the shoe store.
- Bundy Living Room / Kitchen
- Gary's Shoe's seating area
- Beach resort/jacuzzi
- The stage lights can be seen reflection off of Bud's sunglasses when he reveals that he plan to stay home for Spring Break and believes that he will have sex with Ashley.
- In Blonde and Blonder, Mindy told Bud that her braces will be off in a couple of years. But in this episode, they're already gone.
- Ironically even though they mock him for being ugly and pathetic. Mindy, Ashley and Fawn have all slept with Bud in previous episodes. (Though Ashley was unaware, whilst Fawn and Mindy forced themselves on Budy.)