Dateless Bud tries to get Kelly to ask one of her friends to date him to impress his friends, who are to arrive with their dates in "The Dateless Amigo" in Season 3 of MWC.
|Season 3, Episode # 19 |
Number (#54) in series (259 episodes)
|Guest star(s)||Stephen Dorff|
|Writer(s)||Sara V. Finney & Vida Spears|
|Taping date||April 28, 1989|
|Original airdate||May 7, 1989|
|IMDb||The Dateless Amigo|
|← Previous||Next →|
|"Married... with Prom Queen (Part 2)"||"The Computer Show"|
The Dateless Amigo is the 19th episode of season 3 of Married...With Children, despite being produced after The Computer Show. It is the 54th overall series episode. It originally aired on FOX on May 7, 1989. Directed by Gerry Cohen, the episode was written by Sara V. Finney and Vida Spears.
Al comes up with a new invention called Shoe Lights and uses Kelly as his guinea pig. Meanwhile, Bud, trying to prove to his friends that he can get a girl, uses a department store mannequin as his date.
Full episode summary
After his two best friends find dates for themselves, Bud, who is desperately seeking Susan (or any girl that will date him, as he constantly gets rejected every time he propositions a girl!), resorts to getting a life-size mannequin to pose as his date for the evening! Meanwhile, Al comes up with a seeming stroke of genius, a million-dollar invention for a shoe salesmen's convention that looks desperate, called "Shoe Lights"; he takes the headlights and battery out of the family car and straps them onto Kelly's shoes!
Recurring cast/Guest stars
- Stephen Dorff as Boz
- Giovanni Ribisi as Teddy (as Vonni Ribisi)
- Heather Hopper as Lisa
- Christy Taylor as Caroline (as Christy Johnson)
- The title is a reference to a line said by Boz, in regards to Bud being the only one of the "Three Amigos" without a date.
- Al has been the speaker who introduces the highest earning shoe salesman for eight years in a row due to him being the lowest earning shoe salesman. That means he has been the lowest wage earner among shoe salesmen at the convention since 1981.
- Bud reveal that Al had previously attempted to be a garbage man.
- Steve claims to have invented the "99 cents" coin due to frustration with items often costing "$ X.99", though Al points out that he didn't consider tax.
- Marcy implies that they have been audited for 5 years in a row after Steve brought his idea to the U.S. Treasury Department and insisted his face be on the coin.
- Steve once tried to eliminate the penny in the season 1 episode "Nightmare on Al's Street."
- Al tries to lead Bud and Peggy in a Whoa Bundy! but both don't seem interested.
- Heather Hopper, who plays Lisa, previously starred in Good Morning, Miss Bliss, which was the precursor to the long-running Saturday morning teen series Saved By The Bell and later appeared in the FOX-TV series, Beverly Hills 90210.
- This episode marks the final appearances of Bud's friend Teddy and the only appearance of his other friend, Boz and any reference to their group, The Three Amigos.
- Fast food restaurant chain Burger King is mentioned when Al tells Bud and Peggy "I'm going to be the one at Burger King, sucking down the Whoopers at my own private booth" when he starts earning millions on his invention.
- Bud calls Kelly "Bleach Blanket Bimbo", in reference to the 1960s beach party film Beach Blanket Bingo.
- Bundy Residence
- Shoe Convention
- Bundy Living Room / Kitchen
- A brief part of the studio floor can be seen in front of the coffee table, when Kelly first walks with the Shoe Lights on.
- Al tells Kelly to walk Steve and Marcy home in the dark, but the shoe lights are clearly off when she gets up and then exits with them. They are also off when she comes back home and Bud asks her for help finding a date.
- The Dateless Amigo at the Internet Movie Database
- The Dateless Amigo on Bundyology
- The Dateless Amigo - Transcript on Springfield! Springfield!
- #55 The Dateless Amigo - MWC Podcast on Horrorphilia